GamerLance Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GamerLance Forums

Welcome to GamerLance Forums, where you can discuss Video Games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]

Go down 
+14
morteriser
Devildamo101
TonberryDon
YodasFunHouse
Zakki
FenixFire
TitanniumMan141
WallyWorld121212
Ex
SabienLance
Elements
darkiway
MrOHKO
PeregrineMuon
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
WallyWorld121212
Trainee
WallyWorld121212

Badges Earned : 2
Pokedollars : 125

Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 11:10 am

I'm thinking about making a Ariados set the uses both it's new Ability Sniper and his two new moves Night Slash and Cross Poison.
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

Pokedollars : 321

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:27 pm

What else did you plan to put on the set?
Back to top Go down
WallyWorld121212
Trainee
WallyWorld121212

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 am

Probably
Ariados @ Focus Sash/Scope Lens
(Jolly) (Sniper) Evs- 252Atk/DF, 4 Spd
-Claw Sharpen / Focus Energy
-Night Slash
-Cross Poison
-Baton Pass
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Hmmmm...that's an interesting set. I think you'll probably run into two main problems, though: a lack of speed and an a kinda low critical hit rate. For a baton passer, you either want more speed than 40 base or much, much more impressive defenses than 70/70/60. Also, even with a focus energy boost AND the scope lens, you've only got a 25% chance to score a crit, which, while this is really good under most circumstances, Ariados could really use a much higher ratio than that.
Back to top Go down
Elements
Trainee
Elements

Badges Earned : IV-16 V-3
Pokedollars : 4421

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Which is why I'm using a Pokemon to Baton Pass TO Ariados xP
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PokeWorldDP
WallyWorld121212
Trainee
WallyWorld121212

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 7:22 pm

I know Ariados doesn't quite fit the position, just, it's my favorite Pokemon. I want to give it a set that could work come 5th Gen.
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:58 pm

lol I know what you mean. Ariados is really cool, but unfortunately completely nerfed in almost every way. Well, it could be an...interesting antilead. It could run something like this:

Ariados @ Sash
[Adamant] [Insomnia] [252 Att, 252 HP, 4 Def]
-U-Turn
-Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak
-Disable/Toxic Spikes
-Poison Jab

The general idea is just to hit and run with U-turn, which actually has the capability to rip through the stray Azelf lead. Other than that, set up t. spikes if you like, then get out with U-turn. That way you can come back in either as death fodder to get a better match up on a switch, or to deftly take out a weakened sweeper with you priority. Poison Jab is simply there as the obligatory STAB move. Incredibly bad for an offensive typing, but it is still capable of hitting things. There are a couple of merits that this Poke has over others, though, even if it is nerfed: Insomnia allows it to deal with Roserade leads very handily. Packing a Lum berry could make it even better, but losing the sash could prove to bite you in the foot. Anyway, it also boasts a quad resist to one of the most prominent offensive types in the current metagame: fighting. Okay, maybe not the MOST prominent, but certainly a helpful resistance to have, especially considering some of the new threats that have been introduced this generation.

Back to top Go down
WallyWorld121212
Trainee
WallyWorld121212

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:16 pm

That's very helpful, thank you. I know, Ariados kind of sucks. But, i'm going to make a set that will somehow work in the end. This reminds of Karen's Quote " Real trainers win with their favorites." Thanks Again. Happy Holidays. santa
Back to top Go down
Elements
Trainee
Elements

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:42 pm

I thought Karen's quote was, "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
Back to top Go down
TitanniumMan141
Trainee
TitanniumMan141

Badges Earned : 17
Pokedollars : 1554

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:45 pm

^^^
That's the one from G/S/C

HG/SS-
Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DarkPlatinumHero91
WallyWorld121212
Trainee
WallyWorld121212

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:11 am

Yes. That's it. I was just summing it up. . . .I guess I could have put the whole thing, if you guys are that picky :/
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:50 pm

lol Not at all. Nice quote, abbreviated or otherwise. I like it. Any other sets people have been thinking of? I've got a few, but I feel like I've posted too many, so I'm encouraging anyone else who has anything to share.
Back to top Go down
darkiway
Trainee
darkiway

Badges Earned : 1 badge
Pokedollars : 2026

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 4:58 pm

alright, here I am and I usually play with more or less gimmicky teams, and I have come up with various sets that I have been trying on pokemon online.

Emonga @ wise glasses/ sash
motor drive

-electric ball
-air slash
-agility
-volt change

modest nature, full speed and sp.atk evs.

This set works especially well on teams that abuse thunder wave
Back to top Go down
Elements
Trainee
Elements

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Pikach10
Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightningrod
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
- Electric Ball
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility

This actually was made by a friend, not me. The main point is to switch into an Electric attack to get the Special Attack boost then Agility to get faster and also boost Electric Ball since it makes you faster. Similar to darki's Emonga.

Since Pikachu is really frail, you could probably make this a Raichu instead if you want. The main reason why you would use Pikachu instead is because of the Light Ball.

Last edited by PokeWorldDP on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 5:09 pm

I've kinda been wonder how well Electra Ball sets would work. On the one hand, you've got the potential for a 150 base power STAB move, but on the other hand, you're usually working off of relatively low special attack. In terms of hitting power, how well have you guys found these sets to work?
Back to top Go down
darkiway
Trainee
darkiway

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 5:24 pm

anti-lead Leopardas @ sash
Mischievous heart

-t-wave
-encore
-taunt
-night slash
adamant/jolly nature, full atk and speed evs.

this set works WONDERS in 5th gen. Leopardas is probably the fastest mischievous heartist in the game, and it allows him to cripple any lead. Night slash is a good move to deal out damage and kill common switch ins.
Back to top Go down
darkiway
Trainee
darkiway

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 pm

actually, it does pretty good damage. A pokemon with electric ball would also be a huge threat on a bpass team.

the problem is electric ball's power is weak against sweepers, who are usually very fast
Back to top Go down
Elements
Trainee
Elements

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Arbok10
Arbok @ Black Sludge/Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Special Defense/HP
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Coil

Black Sludge to last longer since Coil also boosts Defense, Life Orb raises attack. 6 EVs in Special Defense instead of HP if you're using Black Sludge because it gives you 261 HP, a Leftovers Magic Number. If Life Orb, then go with 6 HP.
Pretty self explanatory set, kind Coil is like Bulk Up except it also raises accuracy so you can abuse Gunk Shot.

Last edited by PokeWorldDP on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ex
Trainee
Ex

Badges Earned : 5
Pokedollars : 379

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 593_f
Burungel@Leftovers
Ability:Water Absorb
Nature:Sassy
EV's:252 HP,252 Special Defense,6 Special Attack
-Energy Ball
-Toxic
-Recover
-Surf

This thing is a really good SpDef wall.Energy Ball is so this thing doesn't get walled by other water types.Toxic so it can stall , along with recover , this thing is a beast.

I've actually tried this thing on actual B/W wi-fi and know it works.
Back to top Go down
Elements
Trainee
Elements

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 6:58 pm

That's looks pretty good (and annoying, lol) but I'd rather have Calm than Sassy
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 5:40 pm

The new ability is wonderfully abusable, so I figured I'd take full advantage:

Aggron @ Custap
[Sturdy] [Relaxed] [252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Att]
- Metal Burst
- Endeavor
- Rock Slide
- EQ

The idea here is to come into something like a sweeper that's already set up (after clear out SR), Metal Burst for the KO after living a hit with 1 HP, then Endeavor the next Poke off of the Custap berry. I was thinking this would make a great lure as well. Pull out something like a Roopushin and take it out, thus clearing the way for something else on your team. The thing you gotta watch out for is Stealth Rocks, though, as that makes this set virtually useless. If you don't run a spinner, though, you could run a wish passer, and then put protect on this set, thus practically guaranteeing max HP when you go for the kill(s).
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 7:45 pm

This is a lead that I have been using for a while now, and I have found it to work very well.

Chirachiino @ Choice Scarf
[Skill Link] [Adamant] [252 Att, 120 HP, 136 Spd]
-Bullet Seed
-Rock Blast
-Sweep Slap
-Encore/U-turn

This is pretty much self-explanatory, but there are a couple of things that should be noted: first, the reason that it is a lead: due to the nature of multi-hit moves, focus sashes are negated. In other words, with the right amount of power--which this set is capable of dishing out in most cases--you can one-shot the opposing lead, granting a quick 6-5 lead without the opponent getting off a single move. The other plus of this set is that, with this speed investment, you outspeed everything sans other scarfers without much investment into speed, allowing you to invest more into bulk. Because of this, most leads cannot take you down in one shot.
Back to top Go down
darkiway
Trainee
darkiway

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 2:39 am

Chirachiino is commonly seen as a leed, although maybe not with the same ev spread and item.

As for Aggron, the idea is good, but your example is bad: roopushin will definitely go with mach punch and finish you.
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Yeah, that's the weakness to the Aggron set. But the point is that, as long as you're coming in on full health to that Roopushin, you will KO it with the metal burst. The next Poke that they bring in then becomes a problem if it carries priority. In other works, one on one, Aggron will trump Roopushin as long as the Roopushin goes straight for the KO.
Back to top Go down
PeregrineMuon
Trainee
PeregrineMuon

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Not sure how well this one will work, but it carries a rather interesting niche of rain-staller. Generally outclassed by Vaporeon.

Dewgong @ Lefties
[Hydration] [Relaxed/Impish] [252 Hp, 126 Def, 126 Sp Def]
-Rest
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Stockpile

Really, there's only one thing that Dewgong has going for it: Stockpile. Not a great move for stat boosting, but it's one thing that other HydrationResters don't have, which really gives Dewgong at least SOMETHING to brag about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]   Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling] - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hypotheticals! [Sets for Competitive Fifth Gen Battling]
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next